Bulky Item Disposal
Illegal dumping is not only unsightly for neighbors and families, but also degrades the environment and presents a safety hazard for bicyclists and pedestrians. Help keep our city clean and safe by properly disposing your bulky and hazardous items or reporting illegal dumping online!
How Can I Dispose of My Items?
Got bulky items (e.g., mattress, furniture, TVs, appliances)?
- Schedule a bulky item pick up through Recology. Note: residents are entitled to 2 free pick ups per calendar year. Additional pick ups are available for a fee.
- Sell it on NextDoor, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.
- Donate it to a local thrift store, such as Goodwill. Note: mattresses and large appliances are usually not accepted. Call store ahead to confirm that they accept the item(s).
- Bye Bye Mattress offers options for getting ride of mattresses including locations for FREE drop-offs.
Got household hazardous waste (or waste that is toxic, corrosive, flammable or reactive, based on its chemical properties)?
- Drop it off at the collection facility in San Mateo or find an upcoming collection event in Burlingame: https://www.smchealth.org/hhw.
Got used prescription?
- Don't flush medications down the toilet. Instead drop it off at a local CVS, Walgreens, or the Burlingame Police Station. Find nearby locations here.
Got electronic waste?
- Recycle it at GreenCitizen, a local electronic recycling center known for their responsible and trackable e-waste recycling. For a list of other locations to recycle e-waste, please visit http://recyclestuff.org.
How to Report Illegal Dumping
|If you find dumping in public spaces, like sidewalks or streets...|| Report it in two ways:
|If you find dumping on freeways or off-ramps...||Report to Caltrans at https://csr.dot.ca.gov|
|If you see dumping in progress...|| Call the Burlingame Police Department at 650-777-4100.
- Dumping bulky items and hazardous waste is a crime in Burlingame under Municipal Code 8.16.020.
- Individuals who are caught illegally dumping can be fined up to $500 per day.
- Remember that placing items on the sidewalk with a “free” sign is still illegal dumping.
- Quick Guide to Bulky Item and Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Fact Sheet (English, Spanish)
- Are you a property manager? Free resources (such as Move In/Out Guides, kitchen pails, recycling buddy bags, and more) are available, visit Recology's Property Manager Lounge webpage for more information.