How to Prepare for a Storm
It’s never too early to prepare for a storm. Here are some tips that you can take to prepare your home or business for the next storm event.
- Consider getting flood insurance for your property. Find your property’s flood map by entering your address in the FEMA Flood Map Service Center.
- Sign up for emergency alerts in San Mateo County with SMC Alert.
- Make sandbags for your property. A free sandbag station is located at 600 California Drive.
- For property owners with natural creek beds on their property, clear the creek beds of debris.
- Prepare a family emergency plan and emergency kit for your home and car with supplies. Visit www.ready.gov/make-a-plan for more information.
- Examine your house for cracks in the foundation, exterior walls, and small openings around pipes and seal them.
- Clean rain gutters, dry wells, French drains, and stormwater inlet junction boxes so that they are free of debris.
- Capture rainwater by installing a rain barrel. Save $200 off a barrel with this rebate.
City’s Efforts to Minimize Flooding
The City has been working to minimize flooding in Burlingame with the construction of storm drain improvement projects outlined in the $39-million Capital Improvement Program that was created with the resident-approved storm drain fee in May 2009.
- Burlingame Storm Water Pump Stations
- How to fill and layer sandbags
- Map of Burlingame’s Creeks
- Map of Burlingame's Watersheds
- Notice for Property Owners and Tenants with a Creek
- FEMA Flood Maps
- FEMA Brochures
- Flood Insurance FAQs
Call the Public Works Department for emergency flooding, blocked storm drains, or creek concerns at 650-558-7670.