Home Occupation

A person may operate a business from their home, also known as a home occupation, with approval of a Home Occupation Permit and Business License.  The purpose is to allow for the conduct of home occupations that are deemed incidental to, and compatible with, surrounding residential uses while maintaining the residential character of residential neighborhoods.  Regulations for Home Occupation Permits, including compliance with standards and conditions, are found in Burlingame Municipal Code Chapter 25.72.

Examples of permitted home occupations include a home office, consulting business, online sales business, and cottage food operation.   All persons engaged in the conduct of a home occupation must be a resident (one non-resident is permitted). 

Please note that certain businesses are prohibited as home occupations, including a barbershop/beauty salon, carpentry and welding/metal work, automobile repair or painting, and medical/dental offices.  For a complete list of prohibited home occupations, please see Code Section 25.72.030.


Step 1:

Complete the Home Occupation Permit Application and submit it in person, by mail, or email (blinfo@burlingame.org) to the Business License Office, City Hall.  If the applicant does not own the home in which the home occupation is to be located, the property owner or his or her legal representative will need to sign the application form acknowledging his or her awareness of the application.

Step 2:
Planning Division staff will review the Home Occupation Permit Application and confirm whether or not it complies with the standards and regulations.  In the event the Home Occupation Permit Application is denied, Planning Division staff will notify the applicant.

Step 3:
Once the Home Occupation Permit Application has been approved by the Planning Division, the Business License Office will notify the applicant of the approval and include a Business License Application. The applicant may pay the required business license fee either by mail or in person.   The applicant may apply online or download and print the forms:

Apply Online 
Business License Application
If you have any questions regarding Home Occupation Permits, please contact the Planning Division at planningdept@burlingame.org or (650) 558-7250.