City Clerk

What are the duties of the City Clerk?
The State of California Government Code determines certain duties of the City Clerk. The City Clerk is obligated to maintain custody of City records, serve as clerk for the City Council, record and maintain proceedings of the City Council, maintain custody of the City Seal, administer and file Oaths of Office, certify and record specific documents for the City, and serve as the City Election Officer.

The City Clerk prepares agendas and minutes of the City Council meetings, conducts elections for the City, receives petitions concerning initiatives and referenda, gives notice of public hearings, maintains the Municipal Code, accepts subpoenas, attends bid openings, and assists elected officials and designated employees in complying with the requirements of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Additionally, the City Clerk maintains records for the City including organizing and indexing department records and answering all public record requests.

Since December 2013, the City Clerk position has been a City Manager-appointed position.

Where can I obtain a Resolution or Ordinance?
Copies of resolutions and ordinances approved by the City Council are available at the City Clerk's office in City Hall at 501 Primrose Road. The telephone number is (650) 558-7203.
How do I obtain a Birth or Death Certificate?
Information on how to obtain a birth or death certificate in the County of San Mateo can be found at the County Assessor's web page.
How do I obtain a Marriage License?
Information on how to obtain a Marriage License in the County of San Mateo can be found at the County Assessor's web page.
Where and when are the City Council meetings?
The City Council meets on the first and third Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall, 501 Primrose Road. Click here for the current City Council Calendar.
How can I reach a member of the City Council?
You can either call the City Clerk at 650-558-7203 and she will forward a message to the Councilmember you are trying to reach, or you can email or phone them directly.

Click here to access City Council and Commission contact numbers.

Are the City Council meetings televised?
Burlingame provides live online web streaming of regularly scheduled City Council meetings. view here
Past meetings are recorded and available. view here
What will be discussed at a City Council meeting?
Upcoming City Council meeting agendas are available online here and at City Hall, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, CA 94010.
What is the procedure to speak before the City Council?
Members of the public may speak in front of the City Council on all action items as noted on the agenda and in the non-agenda public comment section. The Ralph M. Brown Act (the State local agency open meeting law) prohibits Council from acting on any matter that is not on the agenda.

Speakers are asked to fill out a “Request to Speak” card located on the table by the door and hand it to staff. The Mayor may limit speakers to three minutes each.

May I speak in front of a Closed Session meeting?
By State law, Closed Session meetings are not open to the public. Members of the public may address the City Council at their regular meetings either during an action item or under the non-agenda public comments section.
What are the qualifications to be a City Council candidate?
You must be qualified to vote for and be a resident of Burlingame when you file for candidacy.
What do I do if I want to run for City Council?
Beginning in 2022, Burlingame will hold elections for vacant seats on the City Council, on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November in even-numbered years in accordance with Senate Bill 415. To make this transition, the City will hold its regular elections in November 2017 and November 2019, electing Councilmembers to serve five-year terms.

The City Clerk acts as the Elections Officer for the City of Burlingame. During an election year all necessary paperwork to run for and qualify for the ballot must be filed at the City Clerk’s office at City Hall. Please call the City Clerk at 650-558-7203 for more information or to set up an appointment.
What are the requirements for campaign signage?

Non-Commercial Signs in Residential Districts, Section 22.36.020 »read

Annotation: This section of the sign code is to allow free speech of any kind on residential properties. The property owner would have the right to display signs up to 8 SF in area (so typical 2 ft by 3ft signs or slightly larger), and could have up to 60 SF total. This does not require a sign permit. 

Prohibited Signs: Signs on public right-of-way, Section 22.40.030(a) »read 
Does the City of Burlingame have any Commissions?
Yes, there are five commissions:  Beautification, Library Board of Trustees, Parks & Recreation, Planning, and Traffic, Safety and Parking.
How do I get appointed to a Commission or Board?
When vacancies occur on a Commission or Board, the City Council directs the Executive Assistant to advertise the openings. A notice is normally placed in the local newspaper and on the City’s website. Updated information on Commission and Board vacancies is available by contacting the City Clerk at 650-558-7203.