California Drive Roundabout Project
California Drive Roundabout Completed
The City of Burlingame is proud to announce the completion of the California Drive Roundabout Project! The new roundabout is now open. California Drive now features two lanes in each direction through the new roundabout. All newly installed crosswalks are open to pedestrians. Drivers and cyclists can now access Bellevue Avenue and Lorton Avenue from California Drive.
View a two-minute video below acquainting drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians with the new traffic patterns.
As a reminder, for safety purposes, please:
- Pay attention to pedestrians crossing at the newly installed crosswalks;
- Reduce your speed to the 15 m.p.h. posted speed limit;
- Pay attention to all posted traffic signs;
- Allow cyclists full use of the travel lane; and,
- Yield to traffic already in the roundabout. Vehicles and cyclists already in the roundabout have the right-of-way.
Additionally, here are some tips for motorists navigating roundabouts taken from the California Department of Motor Vehicles' California Driver Handbook.
When you approach a roundabout:
- Slow down as you approach the intersection.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
- Watch for signs and pavement markings that guide you or prohibit certain movements.
- Enter the roundabout when there is a big enough gap in traffic.
- Drive in a counterclockwise direction. Do not stop or pass other vehicles.
- Use your turn signals when you change lanes or exit the roundabout.
- If you miss your exit, continue around until you return to your exit.
For roundabouts with multiple lanes, choose your entry or exit lane based on your destination.
On March 19, 2018, the City Council awarded the construction contract for the California Drive Roundabout Project to Redgwick Construction Co. The project consists of realignment of California Drive at Bellevue Avenue and Lorton Avenue for the construction of a two-lane traffic roundabout at this complicated intersection. The project goal is to implement traffic calming measures by slowing down motorists, clarifying right-of-way for various movements of traffic, and improving pedestrian and bicycle safety at this intersection. The project components include:
- Two-lane traffic roundabout.
- Median islands with “Green Streets” sustainable landscaping and storm drainage management system.
- Comprehensive inclusion of “Complete Streets” components to better facilitate pedestrian and bicycle access.
- Yield signs and traffic channelizers at all entry approaches of roundabout to regulate and deflect traffic into proper one-way counterclockwise flow.
- Roadway realignment and grading to accommodate the planned geometric curvature of the road to reduce vehicular speeds.
- Highlighted pedestrian crosswalks.
- New ADA access ramps.
- Bikeway improvements.
- Improved safety lighting.
- Resurfacing of California Drive between Oak Grove Avenue and Burlingame Avenue.
Sealed bids were received at the office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, California on Wednesday, February 21, 2018. Bids were publicly opened at 2:00 p.m. and read at City Hall, in Conference Room B.